UAHC seeks an outgoing and enthusiastic person to fill the full-time position of University Records Manager. This individual will assist the UAHC assistant director in expanding the current records management program to better address the changing information and records management needs of the university community. The position will revise and maintain records retention and disposition schedules for all university records. The University Records Manager will establish new general and specialized records retention schedules as needed.
The position will be part of a cross-departmental team that assists university staff identify and more efficiently organize university records; regardless of format, in a variety of business information systems – from paper file systems to enterprise-level document management systems. The University Records Manager position will play a key role in training and educating the university community in records and information management. This position will work closely with other UAHC staff and staff in the Information Technology units and administrative and academic units. The University Records Manager will work toward meeting the requirements of the continuous appointment system.
Responsibilities will include working with offices across the university to identify records created during the course of business; recognizing applicable state and federal regulations, identifying appropriate retention schedules and disposition plans; coordinating the storage and retrieval of inactive business records (both analog and digital); and developing related training and educational programs. This individual will supervise student assistants. This position also performs some archival duties, including reference service and other duties as assigned.
The University Records Manager will report to the assistant director of the University Archives and Historical Collections and will work closely with departments across campus, including the Administrative Information Services, Enterprise Business Systems Projects, Controller’s Office, Office of the General Counsel, and the Department of Internal Audit.
Able to handle collections, including ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Minimum qualifications are a Masters degree in Information Science, Library Science, Archival Science, or related subject area with coursework in records or information management.
- Minimum one year of records management experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of records management and archival theory and standards, including legal and fiscal issues governing university records.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to convey program rationales and benefits to audiences at all organizational levels and backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal skills to successfully collaborate with a broad range of personnel from various campus departments, including executive management, directors, managers, supervisors, faculty and staff employees.
- Ability to work independently with self-initiative and minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work with confidential information and to handle sensitive situations with diplomacy and respect for privacy rights. Ability to maintain and safeguard confidentiality of documents and information collected and reviewed.
- Experience with or knowledge of electronic records management and digital preservation issues.
- Certified Records Manager (CRM) designation or willingness to acquire.
- Digital Archives Specialist (DAS) certification or willingness to acquire.
- Experience with archival collection management software, such as Archivists’ Toolkit and experience with a records management system such as Zasio’s Versatile software.
- Experience in a college/university setting.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with enterprise business and content management systems.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with electronic records management systems.
- Experience or aptitude for leading public programs and outreach.
Qualified applicants who wish to be considered for this position should apply for position 8352 online at https://jobs.msu.edu/ by October 6, 2013. Please attach a resume and cover letter to the online application.
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.