American Archives Month is celebrated every October to promote the value of archives and archivists. The Michigan State University Archives & Historical Collections (UAHC) is responsible for collecting and preserving the historical records of the nation’s pioneer land-grant university. In essence, the University Archives is the memory of MSU. Our collections contain documents, photographs, scrapbooks, diaries, and audio and visual recordings on a variety of topics, including athletics, student life, and Michigan History. UAHC is a valuable resource for the MSU community, historians, publishers and producers, K-12 students, teachers, genealogists, and the general public.
To celebrate American Archives Month, archivists from the MSU Archives will be giving several presentations throughout October hosted by Capital Area District Libraries.
- October 2nd, 6:30 p.m. at the Holt-Delhi branch: Outreach archivist Megan Malone will present “Know Your School: MSU History and Trivia.” Learn fascinating facts about MSU history, campus traditions and other things every Spartan should know.
- October 14th, 2:00 p.m. at the Aurelius branch: Assistant Director Portia Vescio presents “Scandals, Scalawags, and Unsavory Stories in MSU History.” Get the scoop on student strikes, pranks, undercover Pinkerton agents, and other scandals from MSU’s past.
- October 16th, 5:30 p.m. at the Williamston branch: In “Caring for Personal Papers” processing archivist Whitney Miller will explain actions you can take to properly preserve your documents, data, photographs, and scrapbooks. This presentation will cover how to preserve various physical and electronic formats, identifying potential dangers to materials, and where to find supplies.
- October 21st, 7:00 p.m. at the Webberville branch: “Know Your School” presented by Megan Malone.
- October 22nd, 6:30 p.m. at the South Lansing branch: “Caring for Personal Papers” presented by records manager Hillary Gatlin.
- October 23rd, 7:00 p.m. at the Okemos branch: “Scandals, Scalawags, and Unsavory Stories in MSU History” presented by Portia Vescio.
Please visit Capital Area District Libraries’ website for more information: cadl.org
In addition to the presentations at CADL, MSU Archives is holding a Then-and-Now Photo Contest throughout October. For more information, please refer to: American Archives Month Photo Contest.